.

.

Home

Historical Review
Churches & Chapels
Archaeological Treasures
Events
Photo Gallery
Contact us
 


Two ancient tombs located
at the north side of the village,
 front of the old school.
Many tombs were discovered
in the area.
 

Archaeological findings dating to the Neolithic, Chalcolithic and Hellenistic times were discovered in Kedares. Tools, weapons, pottery, clay and stone, female figures, decorative ornaments, jewellery and coins were found in many ancient tombs around the village. Many of these findings are exhibited at the Nicosia, Limassol and Pafos Archaeological Museums. Archaeological exhibits from Kedares can also be found at the British Museum in London.

South of Kedares, not far from St. Antony Church, stands the only surviving ''Trypiméne''. In the old days locals believed that ''Trypiméne'' had healing properties. When people were ill, relatives would pass their clothes through the hole, believing that their illness would be treated soon after.

 

David George Hogarth (23 May 1862, Barton-upon-Humber, Lincolnshire - 6 November 1927, Oxford) was a British archaeologist and scholar. Between 1887 and 1907, Hogarth travelled to excavations in Cyprus, Crete, Egypt, Syria, Melos, and Ephesus (the Temple of Artemis). On the island of Crete, he excavated Zakros. In his book ''Notes of an Archaeological Journey in Cyprus in 1888'' Hogarth describes one of the journeys he did in the Diarizos Valley and the surrounding villages. He describes archaeological sites at  Kedares, Pretori, and Yerovasa...

.

 

''Only Yerovasa has anything of greater antiquity to show, and even this amounts to no more than a group of πέτραι τρυπημέναι (Stone with a hole in it). Above the village near the path to Arsos are three, two fallen and one upright, and all of great size: but half a mile to the west, on the edge of the Dhiarrizos valley is a more interesting specimen, canonized as Agia Trypiméne; near it stands on edge a manifest ‘oil-stone,’ and a small stump of wood stands opposite the perforation on one side, and is now covered with rags, the repositories of fevers''.

''The fifth and last section, which contains Old Paphos itself, is almost equally barren. Praetori, far up towards the Forest, can show some empty Roman tombs at a spot called ''Έλληνες'' (Ellines = Greeks) midway between itself and Yerovasa, and on the path to Kedhares. A jar of common local ware, and a figurine from a vase, were sold to me in the village, and probably came from these tombs. In a field half a mile below Praetori lies a rough column, similar to the Paramali stone inscribed in honour of Jovian, but on this there is no lettering, and it was perhaps a boundary mark''.

 
             
     

 

Mr Demos Christou's book in French 'Chronique des fouilles et découvertes archéologiques à Chypre en 1995' (A chronicle of archaeological excavations and findings in Cyprus 1995) refers to archaeological excavations undertaken in Kedares and shows samples of the impressive findings.

         
   
 

Επισκέψεις ...:::

stat tracker for tumblr

©  Κέδαρες / Kedares