.

.

Home

Historical Review
Churches & Chapels
Archaeological Treasures
Events
Photo Gallery
Contact us
   
   
Kedares - Historical Review at a glance
 

1900 - 1600 BC

Evidence of copper mining industry at Kedares.
5th century BC Kiniras, the King of Pafos had his holiday house in Kedares.
Late 15th century The Church of Saint Antonios is built.
1628 The first icon of Christ at St John the Forerunner church is painted.
1708 The second icon of Christ at St John the Forerunner church is painted.
1724 The icon of St. Anargiroi at St John the Forerunner church is painted.
1791

The two icons of St. John and St. Spiridonas at St John the Forerunner church are painted by Ioannis Kornaros, the famous Cretan icon painter.

1883

The Church of Timios Prodromos (St. John the Forerunner) is built. Emigrants from Alexandria in Egypt, Antonis Hadjichristos and Achilleas Chrysostomou contribute financially to the project.

1884 The newly woodcarved templon (iconostasis) of the Church of Timios Prodromos is installed.
1900

The School is built. Emigrants from Alexandria in Egypt, Antonis Hadjichristos and Achilleas Chrysostomou contribute financially to the project.

1913

Persefoni Papadopoulou, the daughter of Aristodemos Papadopoulos from Kedares, issues the first newspaper for women in Cyprus, called ''Estiades''.

1912 - 1913

Two volunteers from Kedares join the Greek army and actively participate in the Balkan wars. Efstathios Papa-Christoforou Matheopoulos and Achilleas Christodoulou Mousoulas - Averof. They both returned to Kedares as national heroes.

1940 - 1945

The participation of Kedares in World War II was massive. Seventeen volunteers join the Greek and British army to fight the Germans mostly in Greece but also in El Alamein, Egypt. Two of them are reported killed in battle while a number of other are captured and serve as prisoners in German concentration camps in Germany and Czechoslovakia.

1946 According to the official census that took place in 1946 Kedares had 474 inhabitants.
1953

Destructive earthquake in the district of Pafos with 63 dead, 200 injured and 4000 homeless. Many houses are destroyed in 158 villages, including Kedares. The main earthquake is followed by many aftershocks, which causes additional damage.

1955 - 1959

During the Cyprus Liberation Struggle against the British three men from Kedares were arrested as being members of E.O.K.A. and then taken to Kokkinotrimithia prison in Nicosia where they spend many months in detention.

1960 According to the official census that took place in 1960 Kedares had 259 inhabitants.
1973

Patroclos Demetriou performs live folk music (including songs indigenous to kedares) for the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation TV (C.B.C.).

1974

During the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in July 1974, the majority of men from Kedares are called up to the army to assist in the fighting. Few of them are injured, some of them seriously. The population of Kedares increases after the war ends due to the influx of thousands of fleeing refugees to the south of Cyprus.

1976 The school is shut due to lack of young students.
1982 According to the official census that took place in 1982 Kedares had 142 inhabitants.
1987

The "Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation", a foundation that was created with purpose to research, study, record and preserve the Greek tradition, releases an album with traditional music & songs from several villages in Cyprus including Kedares.

1992 According to the official census that took place in 1992 Kedares had 67 inhabitants.
1994 ''Kedares Emigrants Association'' is founded.
1997 ''Kedares Hunting Club'' is founded.
2001

According to the official census that took place on October 1, 2001, Kedares had 61 inhabitants, 143 houses and 35 households.

2010 In June 2010 Kedares' website is published.
2012 The first coffee shop for women in Cyprus opens in Kedares.
2012 The first annual Kedares magazine is issued
   

Επισκέψεις ...:::

stat tracker for tumblr

©  Κέδαρες / Kedares